Saturday, July 18, 2009

When A Tree Falls . . . . When A Church Closes

We are told that when a tree falls in the forest and no one is around for miles and miles, it makes no sound.
So, I want to know, when a church closes -- especially an open, welcoming, progressive congregation -- does anyone care?
It seems to me that we should.
It seems to me that we should care enough to take specific steps to ensure its continuing witness to the Presence of Christ -- all of us -- whether we are members of that particular church, or not; whether we have ever been to that particular church, or not;
whether we live in the same state, or not.
For some 20 years, now, I have had the privilege of being pastor to a congregation with an 80+ year history of ministry and witness within a first-suburban community near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
When I was interviewed in 1989, I was told that the church had funds on hand to last perhaps six months, and was asked if would consider the challenge of being pastor during that time period.
20 years later, there are funds on hand to last perhaps six months more.
During the years, our congregation has become welcoming of all -- no matter what -- and affirming of individual self worth and respect.
We use non-sexist language in our liturgy and study the latest Biblical scholarship to pass on to those in attendance.

Here I intend to share some thoughts and on-going commentary on events that affect the lives of folks we reach.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear that your church is not closing, and not for sale!

    ReplyDelete