Wednesday, January 20, 2016

11 Years Cancer Free!

So, I doubt if anyone noticed; but, I skipped  out on meeting with my brothers and sisters of the Presbytery of Philadelphia so that I might keep a long-standing appointment with my Urologist. 

His news was good news.  "11 years cancer free", he said.
No signs of cancer.
"There is nothing for us to talk about," he said.
"See you next year."
"YES!", I said.


11 years ago I wrote these words for our church folks -- and it has since been passed on and on -- I don't know where. 

You might like to read it. Please let me know if you pass it on.


"Cancer," he said.
"You have cancer."
Sobering words, for sure.

I knew he was talking about the cancer that kills more men each year, save one.

I knew that over 30,000 men will die from prostate cancer this year.

I also knew that an estimated two million American men are currently living with prostate cancer.

So, the doctor had my full attention.

Thus began three weeks of whirlwind research and consultations and tests.

Fortunately, all doctors concurred that for my age, and my particular circumstance, the cancer needed to be treated aggressively.

Our research revealed that some surgeons were reporting great outcomes using laproscopic techniques. However, only a few surgeons in the Philadelphia were trained in these procedures and few were actually doing the surgery on a regular basis.

As luck would have it, the most experienced surgeon in laproscopic prostatectomies worked out of Bryn Mawr -- alongside the urologist I have seeing for some 20 years!

Not only had he done more laproscpic surgeries than any other area urologist, but he had documented phenomenal success with positive outcomes. And, he is the first -- and currently, only -- one to use the very latest tool: a robot called DaVinci. And, Lankenau Hospital is the only hospital in the Philadelphia area to have this futuristic machine in use.

I knew from my research that confidence in the medical team was one of the most predictors of positive outcomes. I had that.

I also knew that an even greater predictor of positive outcomes was my involvement with the faith group that is Christ Presbyterian Church.

In recent years I have been collecting scientific studies that confirm what I have observed -- and long suspected -- members of faith groups heal quicker, have less pain, and experience better surgical outcomes than those that aren't.
In fact, research confirms that being a member of a church is a better predictor of positive surgical outcomes than the disease itself, the location of the disease, or, even family history.

The prayers and expressions of concern by so many in the church, in other churches throughout the Presbytery, and in other contexts as well, worked with the skill and dedication of the surgeon and the medical team to help secure the most positive of all outcomes.

Not only has my recovery gone very well -- my hospitalization was only about 24 hours and I have had very little pain or other side effects -- but, tests show that the cancer seems to have confined to the prostate and they got it all!

By all accounts, I am now cancer free!


Sadly, over 30,000 men will die from prostate cancer this year.

This is the cancer that kills more men each year, save one.

It is estimated that some two million American men are currently living with prostate cancer.

And this is a cancer that can be beat with early detection and treatment.

It would behoove all men to get checked today.

1 comment: